The Indigenous Tourism Association of Canada (ITAC) is dedicated to nurturing the growth and success of Indigenous tourism operators across Canada. Join the association in its mission to empower Indigenous tourism enterprises nationwide and work collectively towards ITAC’s vision to help make Canada the global leader in Indigenous tourism by 2030 through the Indigenous Tourism Fund Micro and Small Business Stream.
This funding program recognizes market readiness standards set by The Original Original Accreditation Program, taking into account factors such as resource availability, cash flow, and market dynamics. Its primary objective is to provide support to Indigenous tourism operators, offering funding of up to $25,000 per business to enhance their operations across six crucial categories:
- Effective Community Engagement and Support
- Excellence in Visitor Experience
- Ensuring Health, Safety, and Comfort
- Practicing Sustainable Indigenous Tourism
- Excellence in Marketing and Visitor Services
- Demonstrating Business Acumen/Practices
To be eligible for financial support under the Indigenous Tourism Fund Micro and Small Business Stream, your business must meet the following criteria:
Indigenous Majority Ownership: Your business must be Indigenous majority-owned (greater than 50%), operated, or controlled by First Nations, Métis, or Inuit Peoples, with a strong connection to the local Indigenous community and traditional territory.
Business Size: Your business should have less than 100 employees.
Operational Experience: You must have been in operation for a minimum of two years.
Financial Need: Demonstrated need for financial assistance to undertake your proposed project.
Official Business Name: You must have the capability to receive payments addressed to your official business name and provide a Canada Revenue Agency number upon approval of your application.
All applicants are required to complete an application for The Original Original Accreditation Program. If you have already completed this application and achieved a Business, Visitor, or Export Ready level of accreditation, you may also be considered for financial support. The program review process will identify gaps in your business practices and aims to strengthen your market readiness.
Complete the Indigenous Tourism Fund Micro and Small Business Stream application form here.
Priorities for Funding:
Applications are assessed on a first-come, first-served basis, and funding is allocated equitably across all regions in Canada based on provincial and territorial allocations.
Non-repayable contributions can be up to a maximum of $25,000 per business. Businesses can propose multiple projects or activities but cannot exceed a total of $25,000 in funding. Funding will be granted upon receipt of a signed contract and invoice.
Ready to take your Indigenous tourism business to the next level? Apply for the Indigenous Tourism Fund Micro and Small Business Stream today!
Questions and Support
If you have questions about the accreditation program or need help getting your application completed, please email Michelle Brown, ITAC Business Support Coordinator at: Michelle@IndigenousTourism.ca
You also have the option to contact your respective Provincial/Territorial Indigenous Tourism Organization.
- Yukon First Nations Culture and Tourism – Harmony Hunter at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Indigenous Tourism Alberta – Mackenzie Brown at email@example.com
- Indigenous Destinations Saskatchewan – Annie Charles at Annie@IndigenousSK.ca
- Indigenous Tourism Manitoba – Darcie Guarderas at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Indigenous Tourism Quebec – Marie-Pierre Laine at email@example.com
- Nova Scotia Indigenous Tourism Enterprise Network – Robert Bernard at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Indigenous Tourism Association of New Brunswick – Karen Narvey at email@example.com
- Newfoundland and Labrador Indigenous Tourism Association – Caroline Swan at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Indigenous Tourism Association of Prince Edward Island – Nic Joseph at email@example.com
- Indigenous Tourism Ontario – TBD
- Northwest Territories – Michelle Brown at Michelle@IndigenousTourism.ca
- Nunavut – Michelle Brown at Michelle@IndigenousTourism.ca