‘Building Back Better’ focuses on returning Indigenous tourism to pre-COVID-19 levels by 2025
As the Indigenous tourism industry in Canada recovers from COVID-19, ITAC has set sights on moving forward in the most adaptable and sustainable manner possible contributing meaningfully towards several Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The 2022-25 Strategic Plan has three main priorities:
- Inspiring ITAC member businesses across the country to rebuild or refocus their business offering through targeted business support, education and training.
- Leveraging partnership opportunities and investments with the Provincial Territorial Indigenous tourism associations to maintain their membership and infrastructure.
- Strengthening ITAC as the national leader and advocate for Indigenous tourism operators and stabilizing funding through the federal government, partners and membership.
While COVID-19 has paused the Indigenous tourism industry’s flourishing growth, ITAC has revised its targets to build back to pre-COVID levels by 2025, three years sooner than projected. This includes:
- $1.9 billion in direct GDP contributions
- 1,900 Indigenous tourism businesses
- 40,000 Indigenous tourism employees